>Sightseeing >Sights of Vienna




Schönbrunn Palace  

Schönbrunn Palace


The Palace with its surrounding buildings and the huge park is one of the most significant cultural monuments in Austria. It was generally used as the summer residence of the Habsburg rulers.
The Emperor Franz Joseph (ruled 1848-1916), who was born here in 1830, spent the last years of his life entirely in Schönbrunn. In 1918, the palace became the property of the new republic. Due to this historical importance, its beautiful location and its gardens this palace is one of the very top sights in Vienna. Furthermore the entire complex was taken up in the UNESCO’s world cultural heritage list.
Schönbrunn Palace Schlosspark Schönbrunn, A- 1130 Vienna
 



Schönbrunn zoo  

Schönbrunn zoo


Schönbrunn Zoo is the world’s oldest and only baroque zoo. The Schoenbrunn Zoo is situated in the south-eastern part of the Habsburgs’ summer residence and was built in 1760.
What makes the zoo so special is the keeping of animals after their specific requirements and the simultaneous emphasis of the baroque heritage. The historical buildings are restored by experts of international reputation under the supervision of the conservation authorities and serve present-day purposes without any defeat of its fascination.
Schönbrunner Tiergarten Maxingstraße 13b, A-1130 Vienna
 



Hofburg  

Hofburg


The Hofburg was orignially a medieval castle, but today only the castle chapel remembers of its medieval past. The Hofburg was extended to a magnificent residence when the Habsburg’s power increased.
That is the reason why one can find almost any architectural styles, from gothic style to art nouveau. Nowadays this enormous complex is the home of the "Österreichische Nationalbibliothek" (National Library), the "Schatzkammer" (Imperial Treasury), the Collection of Musical Instruments, the Collection of Weapons, the "Museum für Völkerkunde" (Museum of Ethnography) and the famous "Spanische Hofreitschule" (Spanish Riding School). Partly enclosed to the Hofburg one can find the vast "Heldenplatz" that is very impressive too. Equestrian statues of Archduke Karl, who won the battle of Aspern against Napoleon’s troops (1809), and Prince Eugene of Savoy, who defeated the Turks, attest to Austria’s glorious past.
Hofburg Innerer Burghof/Kaisertor, A-1010 Vienna
 



St. Stephen’s Cathedral  

St. Stephen’s Cathedral


St. Stephen’s Cathedral is situated in the city centre, and for centuries it has been the heart of Vienna. It is one of the most famous Viennese sights and was built in 1147.
The cathedral was dedicated to St. Stephen. Duke Rudolf IV of Habsburg ordered the complete restructuring of the church in Gothic style. In 1359, he laid the cornerstone of the nave with its two aisles. The South Tower, was completed in 1433 (the Viennese have given it the nickname “Steffl,” representative of the whole cathedral). The cathedral has got two very impressive features: The gigantic roof, and the tall, lean tower (136,7 metres of hight). One can find only few gothic towers of such height that were finished in the Middle Ages. Inside the Cathedral there are many art treasures like the tomb of Prince Eugene of Savoy (1754), the Altarpiece of Wiener Neustadt, the pulpit by Anton Pilgram (1514-15), the sepulcher of Emperor Frederik III by Niclas Gerhaert (1467-1513), the watchman`s lookout, a self portrait of the sculptor, and the Gothic winged altar.
St. Stephen’s Cathedral Stephansplatz, A-1010 Vienna
 



Spanish Riding School  

Spanish Riding School


The Spanish Riding School is the oldest and last Riding School in the world where classic dressage is still practised in its purest form. This Institute was founded in 1572.
It’s name was derived from the fact that the horses were of Spanish origin. (The Lipizzaner is regarded as the oldest classic horse race in Europe) The Riders of the Spanish Riding School train the horses and perform in the Winter Riding School in the Vienna Hofburg (Imperial Palace) in a splendid Baroque structure hall built by Josef Emanuel Fischer von Erlach between 1729 and 1735. The presentations of classical dressage have been open to the public since 1920.
Spanish Riding School Michaelerplatz 1, A-1010 Vienna
 



Ring Boulevard  

Ring Boulevard


The Vienna Ring Boulevard is 4 kilometres long and circles the city centre. The construction of the Ring Boulevard was initiated by Emperor Franz Joseph I in December 1857.
With the construction of this magnificent road on the free space, a connection between the city center and the suburbs, which since 1850 have been a part of the city, has been achieved. The Ring Boulevard was ceremonously inaugurated on 1st May in 1865 and is today one of the biggest and most beautiful boulevards of its kind.
 



Belvedere Palace  

Belvedere Palace


The two magnificient palaces on the Belvedere grounds lie in the middle of a splendid park. They were constructed for Prince Eugene of Savoy by J.L. von Hildebrandt, a famous Baroque architect.
At this time the Belvedere Palaces were still located outside Vienna’s defences, but today they are a part of Vienna`s third district which is not far away from the very centre of Vienna. The Palaces’ architecture and interior design are in Rococo. Both of the palaces house museums of Austrian painting. In the lower palace the "Österreichisches Barockmuseum" (Austrian Museum of Baroque Art) displays Austrian Art of the 18th century. In the upper palace you can visit the Austrian gallery with a collection of 19th- and 20th-century Austrian paintings. There, you can find works of artist of the Secession movement such as Gustav Klimt (1867-1918), Egon Schiele (1890-1918) or Oskar Kokoschka (1886-1980).
Belvedere Palace Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27, A-1030 Vienna
 



Prater  

Prater


The Prater is Vienna’s most popular fun fair. Here one can enjoy a great view from the giant Ferris wheel, and one can do sports and relax in the area of forest land and fields.
The Prater is situated near the centre and is ideal for walking, cycling, jogging or just lying on the grass after an exhausting sightseeing tour in the inner city. Furthermore one can find major facilities for sports and recreation, such as the Krieau harness racing track, the Prater Stadium (soccer and track-and-field), the Stadionbad public swimming pools, the Freudenau flat racing track and the Pleasure Pavillion (Lusthaus) in the Prater. Two further attractions in the Prater are the Vienna Wurschtlprater, a fun fair with the Giant Ferris Wheel (Riesenrad), where one can enjoy a terrific view over Vienna from 200 feet altitude and the Lilliputian Railroad (Liliputbahn), a 2.6 mile amusement park line on a auge of old steam locomotives, providing transportation to the Trade Fair grounds and to the Stadium.
Prater A-1020
 



Vienna Opera House (Oper)  

Vienna Opera House (Oper)


The Vienna Opera House is situated in the frist district of Vienna at the southern end of the Kärntnerstrasse. August von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll built the Court Opera House from 1861 to 1869.
The Vienna Opera House has a world-wide reputation for its first-class opera performances and is also known because of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. A night at the State Opera is one of the most impressive events any visitor to Vienna can experience.
Vienna Opera house Opernring 2, A-1020 Vienna
 



Burgtheater (National Theatre)  

Burgtheater (National Theatre)


The Burgtheater is situated in the first district. In 1741 Empress Maria Theresia handed an unused dance-house over to the theatre-company Sellier. Since then, this building was used as a theatre.
The Burgtheater has obtained a world-wide reputation for brilliant dramatic art and it holds a leading position in the dramatic arts of German-speaking Europe. Over the years, its theatrical company of more or less regular members has worked out a traditional style and speech characteristic of Burgtheater performances. The audience has always been involved in evaluating the talents of new members of the Burgtheater company.
Burgtheater Dr.-Karl-Lueger-Ring 2, A- 1010 Vienna
 



Anchor Clock (Ankeruhr)  

Anchor Clock (Ankeruhr)


The Anchor Clock was built between 1911 and 1917 after the plans of the painter Franz von Matsch. It is situated on the oldest square of Vienna and represents a typical Art Nouveau design.
It forms a bridge between the two parts of the Anker Insurance Company’s building. In the course of 12 hours, twelve historical figures or pairs of figures move across the bridge. Every day at noon, all of the figures parade, each accompanied by music from its era.
Anchor Clock Hoher Markt Nr. 10/11, A-1010 Vienna
 



Danube Tower  

Danube Tower


If you want to enjoy a magnificent view over Vienna this is the right place to go. The Viennese affectionately call the tower “Concrete needle”. It is 352 meters high and was built within 20 months!
While enjoying the terrific view visitors can take place in the cafe or restaurant, where traditional Viennese specialities as well as modern delicious meals are served.
Danube Tower Donauturmstrasse 4, A-1223 Vienna
 



Danube Island  

Danube Island


The Danube Island is enclosed by the River Danube and by the New Danube. It is 21 km long and up to 250 m wide and in June it houses the famous Donauinselfest, a big outdoor event.
The “Copa Kagrana” beach, near the Vienna International Centre, has numerous restaurants and leisure facilities and is a meeting point for young people. If you want to go swimming, biking, or if you just want to relax in a caf√© – on this island you will have a great time!
 



PARTNER-SITES
Language School
in Vienna
:
"Quality at a great price!
"

GERMAN AND WINTERSPORTS
 

Have fun at Austria’s slopes AND learn German at ActiLingua Academy!

 
Literature in Vienna
   

Theatre, cabarett, prose and poetry: Austrian literature is fascinating and diverse. Read about Ingeborg Bachmann and other famous Viennese writers.
What language do Austrians speak?
It is pure, correct German. Many experts believe that the finest, most melodious German is spoken in Austria.